Mixed Martial Arts
GWMA is a mixed martial arts system which is based in Mountsorrel
As a mixed martial art, GWMA’s main influences are Shotokan/Goshin Ryu karate with elements of Kung Fu.
Gavin Walker is the chief instructor with 31 years’ experience in
martial arts and has been running his classes for over 10 years.
We believe that learning martial arts should be an enjoyable
experience and can benefit anyone in the following ways:
1. Self-Discipline – One of the central tenets of martial arts is a focus on self-discipline.
2. Boosting Socialization Skills – People who don’t always thrive in
highly social environments may find it easier to get to know people
and make new friends when they’re in a room filled with peers who
share a common interest.
3. Encouraging Physical Activity – In todays technology based
environment where most things are at a touch of a button, enrolling
into a physical enjoyable activity can inspires yourself to keep
moving and become fitter as a consequence.
4. Learning to Set and Achieve Goals – Most forms of martial arts are
based around an accomplishment system of coloured belts that signify
the wearer’s degree of skill.
When your child or as an adult strives toward each new belt, they are learning valuable lessons about setting and reaching goals.
5. Increased Self-Esteem – Confidence comes with achievement, so your
self-esteem level will get a boost with every new move mastered and
every belt earned.
People who struggle with a low sense of self-worth usually become more confident as time progresses while they’re enrolled in a martial arts class.
6. Instilling a Sense of Respect – Learning any martial arts style
will require you to show your instructor respect.
Today’s culture doesn’t always include respect for authority. When you go to a Martial Arts class, you will be learning lessons in respect along with new
7. Developing Teamwork Skills – Working together to learn new things
and accomplish goals is an important life lesson to be learnt, and
instruction in the martial arts can help you learn that lesson.
8. Improvement in Other Areas of Life – The benefits of martial arts
training don’t end in the dojo.
The boost in confidence, increased fitness levels and new cooperation skills will help you in other areas of life.